Friday, August 05, 2005

Catholic Conference




Tomorrow morning, EARLY, we will be off to Wichita, Kansas, for the Midwest Catholic Family Conference. Check in is at 7am and we have a 1 and 1/2 hour drive. The conference actually started tonight, but there were no activities planned for the kids, so we decided to wait until morning. I don't like getting up early, and especially that early. I'll have to feed the kids breakfast or they'll be starving before lunch, but who wants to eat at 5am? Not me, and I know I won't feel like making breakfast for other people, either. Dean is a stickler about not eating in the car, but just this once I may have to talk him into letting the kids nibble on dry cereal on the way. I see no other way around it.

I'm so excited about going that I know I won't sleep well. This is the first year we've been able to go and this is the 6th annual. We'll be staying with friends that used to live here. They are really good friends and all of the kids get along wonderfully. They also have six children, so we'll be 16 people under one roof----add to that one black lab pup and the fun begins!

We'll be leaving our dog with Grandma. She peed on my carpet today (the dog, not Grandma.) That makes me very upset. She pooped on a blanket today and once yesterday. She's house broken, so I think the change in her habits is because we've started chaining her up when she's outside as she's learned to run to the road. She doesn't like being chained and I guess thinks she can't do her business with the chain on. I mean, who could? I'm sure it's just a minor setback.

As I was trying to pack everyone tonight, Kathryn used my lack of attention to do some really fun 3-yr-old things. She squirted body lotion all over the carpet. She got into her 7 yr-old sister's "Hello Kitty" play make-up, causing a HUGE outburst from Karyn as this was a birthday gift she received yesterday. She tried to choke and kill the dog (honestly, I'm sad she didn't complete the job---that little pissin' hound!) She decided that it would be fun to knock over the laundry piles I had just folded. I guess these things are to be expected if I'm not paying much attention, but you'd think with as many people that live in this house that there would be no way she could do these things without someone seeing her. That's a wrong assumption. She's been on a rampage for three days now. Yesterday I actually counted the years until she would become a legal adult (15 years) and could move away. Now, that was a "good mommy" moment, huh?

I didn't make it to adoration today. I feel terrible as it was going to happen this morning, but life got in my way. I'm glad there is adoration at the conference. Adoration is one of my favorite things.

I'll be back Sunday night. Have a great weekend!

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a Kansas mom with seven kids, I gotta say I am going to love this blog!

11:43 AM  
Blogger Steve Bogner said...

When you mentioned Kansas & Oklahoma, you caught my attention!

I grew up in the country in southeast; then went to college in Tulsa and lived there for 12 years. I have tons of cousins in the Wichita area - I think one of them is a TV weatherman out there. Since my dad had 8 brothers and two sisters, I haven't been able to keep track of all my cousins in years!

My great-grandfather immigrated from Germany, was in the Oklahoma land-rush, and later built a Catholic church to serve the people around Okarche (north of OKC). But when the bishop sent them an Irish priest, he picked up and moved to the Wichita area!

We moved to Cincinnati about 9 years ago, but still get back to Kansas and Oklahoma now & then to see family (my wife's sister and her family live in OKC, another sister in Miami).

While I love living here on the outskirts of Cincinnati, there's nothing like the big skies and plains of Kansas & Oklahoma.

1:29 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Steve, Cincinnati is a long was from here!! I remember a weatherman named Merril Teller. Could that be him? A cousin of mine made him a tie, painted weather scenes on it, and he wore it on air. HA! Strange, huh? I'm in Ponca City. Not far from Wichita and Tulsa. Small world.

4:30 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Hi, Cath. Thanks for the kind words! So, where in Kansas are you from? I grew up in Pratt, as did my husband. I have a lot of family in Wichita. I also have family in Goodland and Ottawa.

4:35 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

One more thing, Steve. I put your blog on my blogroll. Now, I am new to this, but I think I understand that it's "good manners" to ask permission first. Please, forgive me for doing so without asking. I did ask some of the others, but hadn't gotten permission from all.

4:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lisa, I live in a small town called Winchester, about 20 miles from Lawrence, roughly 40 miles from Ottawa.

8:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, that was me!

8:43 PM  
Blogger Steve Bogner said...

Hi Lisa - Looks like you had a great trip.

I've heard some people say that it's proper to ask permission before adding someone to a blogroll, but I think that's silly. So, no harm done, none at all.

Here's the info on the weatherman-Bogner: http://www.ksn.com/bios/mbogner.html . Actually, he's probably one of my cousins' children.


p.s. - now I see in my comment, my editor must have been snoozing. In the first line I meant 'southeast Kansas.'

4:29 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Steve, I once lived in Neodesha, Kansas. I think that is southeast Kansas, no? Cath (anonymous?), my son wants to go to KU in Lawrence. I may have to send him to live with you for a while to avoid that darn out-of-state tuition! ha. I'll be in Ottawa, stopping through to visit an uncle and cousin, on the way to KC, this week. Hubby and I are taking the family to Great Wolf Lodge.

5:14 AM  
Blogger Steve Bogner said...

Yes, Neodesha is southeast; I was a bit more southeast, just outside the town of Parsons.

9:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home