Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Smokin' in the Boys' Room

I had to go to "Back To School" night at my son's high school. This was something that was not easy for me, and it was not just the stairs up to the third floor that I disliked. I was so uptight that I almost cried, right there in the large, cold hallway. I was completely overwhelmed, trying to find the classrooms----I can only imagine what the first time freshmen went through on their first day of school---and wondering what I might find behind the classroom door. THANK YOU, GOD for all of the teachers----they all seem wonderful. I don't know if this will prove out the rest of the year, but so far they all seem great. I KNOW that part of my anxiety is the fact that I now have a high school aged child. This means that I am not longer a spring chicken---the 17yo carry-out boys at the supermarket no longer watch my bottom as we walk to the car. HA! Did they ever? No, probably not, but it's sometimes fun to think they did! This means that I really am having the perimenopause symptoms. This means that for every gray hair I can see at the FRONT of my head, there are probably three in the BACK. This means that I have extra flesh under my brastrap on my back (this really grosses me out!) This means that my children are growing up and it's more important than ever to prepare them for life and I so don't want to fail. Okay, now you know why I was about to cry? It was not fun tonight. It won't be fun with the children to come. I cannot imagine what I'll feel when the baby gets to high school.

6 Comments:

Blogger Cath said...

Lisa, I know just how you feel. Everyone has been teasing me about getting old for years and it never hit me until my oldest son started high school and I realized wow, wasn't he just born? He is a junior now and I am back to my normal "I'm not old" self. It was just the initial shock to know that I have a child who is almost grown and there is nothing I can do to stop it.

4:26 AM  
Blogger Renee said...

Going to a high school and finding out about your new high schoolers teachers is nerve wracking enough. Yes, then there is that mortality thing, that "If anyone hurts him, I will rip there lips off", and that "I don't know anyone here" thing. At least that is the way it would be for me.

By the way, don't you think you have benefited from your years of life experience? There is very few years I would like to repeat!

5:28 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Thanks for your support, cyber friends. It's really nice not to have to go through these life changes/seasons alone. Well, as alone as a wife and mother of so many can really be, right?!

11:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't worry, there are lots of us 40 something guys watching your bottom (respectfully, of course).

12:56 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

HAHAHA, Anonymous----thanks for the chuckle!

1:01 PM  
Blogger Mairin :o) said...

My baby just graduated from high school this past spring. I cried throughout the whole year. I cried during senior pictures where she had her highly loved (=ratty)raggedy anne doll in her arms. I cried at graduation.

It is hard, but it does get easier. I don't feel old, and that's half of it

3:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home