Sunday, August 28, 2005

YIKES!

Okay, last night Hubby and I had a "double-date." We went to the movies with another Catholic couple we've known for years. With the previews being SO funny, we all decided that we wanted to see this particular movie. Now, I'm not one to be easily offended by things, a "good" dirty joke can usually bring forth a laugh from me (I don't TELL them myself, but if I HEAR one, I don't condemn myself or the person telling to Hell, get the picture?), and as you know, I've been known to spout a verbal obscenity when the toe gets stubbed or the legos split open the tender underside of my foot in the middle of the night. (Yes, I do go to Confession, if anyone is interested.) Okay, back to my point. I was completely and totally EMBARRASSED and OFFENDED by some of the subject matter in this movie. Now, to the director's credit, some parts had me wheezing with laughter, but I could have wheezed and enjoyed myself much more if the vulgarity had been eliminated from this movie.

What had me the most MIFFED was the fact that there was a CHILD in the audience of this theatre------about 8 years old, with her GRANDPARENTS!!! The language was VERY NASTY and some scenes showed things that most adults shouldn't see, let alone ANY child.
Please, don't waste your money. My money was wasted last night. If I'd been at home with a rental this bad, I would have returned it and demanded my money back. I guess I should have done that last night, but the circumstances being I was there with three other people made it a little harder to just get up and leave. I suppose I should have done like I tell my children and "set the example" for others, but I finished it out. TRAVIS, DO NOT go see this movie. (Travis is a teen commentor here.) I saw teenagers in the theatre----NO WONDER teens have a distorted view of sex----what is supposed to be beautiful and sacramental to a marriage is being portrayed as what I saw last night.

So, I had to LIE when I got home from the movies, to my children and to my mother-in-law. I was TOO embarrassed to admit that I had been at that movie, so I said that we had watched something else.

Just a warning to you----you can learn from my mistake, dear reader.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not inclined to see that movie either, Lisa. I think the title is what is drawing all sorts of people to see. As though a 40 year old virgin is something of a spectacle. They even make him look like a nerd. My husband was 37 and a virgin when I met him. One of the reasons I immediately became attracted to him! It told me he had spunk and resolve and ideals. And he does. He's absolutely sexy in every way to me. Especially his heart. Forty year old virgin? It's so stupid to even think they made a movie about it.
But, then, I'm not surprised.
And shame on those grandparents taking a child to a movie like that! I can't begin to imagine...
Geesh!

8:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, and by the way, Rob and I started to watch "Leaving Las Vegas" with Nick Nolte and Elizabeth Shue last night. I'd borrowed it from the library. It was dark and depressing and vulgar. Yet, it got all these academy awards.... we didn't finish it.

8:11 AM  
Blogger ukok said...

I don't think I'll be wasting my money to go and see that movie when it comes out over here. Thanks for the warning!

God Bless.

8:47 AM  
Blogger Suzanne said...

I am sooo happy to read someone else who stands up against these stupid stupid movies. Don't worry a bit about sharing...I personally thank you and cheer you on!
I would also suggest that good folks not bother with the movie Wedding Crashers..supposedly hilarious.
Well, if that is hilarious, keep it. I refuse to pay out my family's budget money for cr... like that and go home feeling like an idiot for doing so. You know, God really gave us more brains and sense and I don't feel His happiness with me when I fall for going to these things. How can we teach our kids to stand against peer pressure or ever hope to change the movie industry in any decent way, as long as they are making the $$$ on nonsense? We simply can't expect it...okay...my two cents worth! :) Have a great day! :)

6:23 AM  
Blogger Mairin :o) said...

Hi there. I use this website before I go to any movie: http://www.usccb.org/movies/weekly.htm

I hope it helps! I wanted to go see the Wedding Crashers but didn't because of the rating it received from usccb.

9:47 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Thanks! I'll try that website. The one I usually use is www.kids-in-mind.com and it is very thorough. Obviously, I didn't look up this particular movie before viewing. I like to have more than one source. Thanks, again!

12:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home