Saturday, September 17, 2005

Vacation


I'm getting the itch to go somewhere. Hubby and I are planning on taking a trip this year as our anniversary gift to each other (hey, better than a trash bin, eh?) I've been thinking of several different destinations, but cannot decide on which. I'd like to go on a cruise. I'd like to go to Las Vegas (I'm not a gambler, nor is Hubby, but I'd like to go just to see the bright lights and say that I've been.) I'd like to go to a big city like Chicago or New York. BUT----I don't like to fly. I'm terrified to fly, actually. Not because I fear dying, but because I fear the thought of going down, knowing the end is near, and waiting for the pain of the crash. That, and leaving my children orphaned is keeping me out of an airplane. We could drive to Galveston and hop on a ship, so this might be the best option. Really, just driving anywhere will probably do.

Another BIG problem is childcare. My in-laws are becoming grouchy in the kid department, so I don't want to leave the kids for a long period with them. Hey, if you're reading, Fr. Shane, I have an idea. You could come and stay a week in my house, with full responsibility of my six children, then just TRY and go back to your parish and preach against contraception. I promise, you won't be able to do it!!!!------wink--------Just kidding. No hate mail, please. Maybe I'll hire a sitter and have my aunts come. This would split up the day-to-day busy tasks for my mother-in-law. She could be here a day, then someone else, then her, etc. etc.

Do you have any wonderful vacation spots you'd like to share? I'd love to hear. Hector, I know you've been on a wonderful business vacation---I can't afford where you've been, though. AND-can you imagine me on a flight like that???????? Miss, can I have another one of those cute little bottles of vodka.........................

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aha! I caught you using my name to catch if I was reading! First, please edit your post from "business vacation" to "Business Trip" in case my boss is reading.

Please don't die when you read this... I've been a Gold or Silver elite Continental frequent flyer every year since 1997, mostly business, but also pleasure. You need between 25,000 to 50,000 miles a year to qualify! Airplanes and I get along really well. I'm seriously considering volunteering to be an airport Chaplain. I've had the blessing to see the Taj Mahal in India, dine by the beach in Singapore, snorkel in Australia, visit France and Germany during Christmas, England, Japan, Mexico, Venezuela, Spain, and many others... I've done 2 Caribbean cruises, been camping in Colorado, Utah, and Sedona, AZ, been to LA, San Francisco, Chicago, Boston, D.C., NYC, Miami, etc. I have never been to Vegas though!!

So... from Pastoral Coach to Travel Agent... what do you want? Rest? Natural beauty? Shows? Museums? the vibrancy of a big city? the beauty of a sunset by the red rocks? Go dancing and be entertained? take an early walk by the beach? history? amusement parks?

Where are you now? You are always welcomed in Indianapolis...

2:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vegas is good--I would recommend staying at the Venetian. The rooms are incredible. We took the kids (we had 3 at the time) and it was almost like they weren't there--that's how big the rooms are!

2:06 PM  
Blogger Steve Bogner said...

Lisa - I'm sure you've heard that flying is safer than driving, right? Like Hector, I've flown a lot, and the really dangerous part of the trip starts when I get my car at the rental counter.

We took the kids to Vegas a couple years ago, and are looking at doing so again this coming March (at the Venetian). We will probably spend a day going out the the Grand Canyon area, and then see Cirque du Soleil or the Blue Man group.

But within driving distance from where you are... big city... Denver? I've been there a few times and thought it was nice, but am not sure what there is from a tourist perspective.

But, you might check out Eureka Springs, AR. In the autumn the Ozarks are beautiful, there are a lot of good B&B's there, artsy things to do, and so on. A not-so-far drive either. When we lived in Tulsa, it was a favorite quick getaway destination.

5:24 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Okay, I think I'll quit being a baby and try the flying route. If I don't, then I'll not get to visit anywhere that is actually FUN. Denver is about 9 hours from here. Driving that far doesn't sound like something that I'm willing to do. Steve, did you ever do the mystery weekend in Guthrie? That sounds like it would be fun, and it's only an hour drive from here. I'm really wanting something that's quiet and romantic. I'm ready to just have a quiet, romantic few days alone with my husband. Vegas probably won't be quiet,huh? I've been looking there because it's cheap. Two people can get there for three nights, four days, in the Venetian, with airfare, for $700. Where else could I go for that amount? Probably nowhere. Hector, the cruises sound WONDERFUL. That's really what I want to do-------but then there's the fact that I won't get into a bathing suit, so maybe a cruise isn't the best choice. Okay, I'm rambling now. Time to stop.

10:39 AM  
Blogger Steve Bogner said...

We never made it to Guthrie for that, but I too have heard good things about it. But, Eureka Springs just over the border in Arkansas is known for its quiet, romantic B&B's. Vegas is cheap, but more cheesy than romantic, and definitely not quiet.

6:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home